“…Pardini’s art is, in fact, the end result of a germination which takes place at the very heart of the ‘id’, there where the ray of truth has penetrated, where the true fecund seed has fallen: it does not proceed from abstraction, even if sometimes abstraction mutates certain syntactic forms or inflections, but from the emotions provoked by a direct and precise grasping of an aspect of reality…”
(Pisa, 20 August 1910 – Siena, 26 September 1999) was an Italian art historian.
One of the most distinguished academics of Sienna and Pisa art, he studied at Pisa University, initially under Mario Salmi and then Matteo Marangoni. He graduated, having written his dissertation on Tino di Camaino.
In 1937 he obtained a post at the Monuments and Fine Arts Office in L’Aquila, then in 1939 he was transferred to Siena. He put down roots in this city and became one of the leading lights of the city’s cultural life, dedicating his energy to the rescue and restoration of its artistic heritage.
He curated numerous exhibitions and edited many publications, both on specialist subjects and ones printed for publicity. He was director of the Pinacoteca di Siena until 1952, as well as the Opera Metropolitana del Duomo and remained in the Monuments and Fine Arts Office until 1973. In the meantime, he taught art history at Siena University, refusing a similar post in Genova so that he would not have to move away from the city of Siena.
In 1980 he was honored by the President of the Republic in the form of an emeritus membership of the Accademia dei Lincei. In 1995 he was awarded the Premio Feltrinelli. He wrote more than 500 books, including non-fiction works and essays. His book collection was donated to Siena University by his son.
He is buried inside the Camposanto Monumentale in Pisa’s famous Piazza dei Miracoli.
This post is also available in: Italian